Work is currently well underway at both Ashburton Park (new irrigation is going in ahead of new turf) and at Dorothy Laver Reserve West (preparations are underway to install the new playing surface). The council has given us estimated dates for the works to be completed and for us to gain access. Provided the works remain on track and subject to significant weather challenges, we are optimistic that we can return to play at Ashburton Park in mid to late April 2024 and at DLRW in May 2024.
In the meantime, the Club has been hard at work over the off-season working with Council and other organisations to secure several training venues for Term 1. These include:-
- Warner Reserve – Tues, Weds & Thurs. No boots permitted at this venue to protect the integrity of the surface ahead of the winter months and to respect the summer sports who have priority during this period;
- Auburn High School – Tues & Thurs, with a half share on Weds with Alamein;
- Camberwell High School – Tues, Weds, Fri & Sat morning, with an option on Sundays. In exciting news, lights will be installed at CHS in about mid-year;
- Mount Wavery North Primary School – A synthetic venue with lights that will be the home of JBNPL / Performance teams indefinitely. Thanks to the assistance of ‘Futbol First’;
- Salesian College – Tues & Thurs.;
In the lead up to the winter season (T2 & T3), we will be better placed to assess the grounds that will be available for game play. We are reliant upon Council allocations, and the anticipated completion of Ashburton Park and DLRW. At this stage, home games will likely be played at:-
- Warner Reserve (Lights)
- Markham Reserve (Lights)
- Watson Park (Lights)
- Highfield Park
- Willison Park (Lights & Provisional Discussions)
As in Season 2023, we will need to supplement access to these grounds with the hire of additional venues, including Tooronga Fields, Monash Uni, Knox Regional Centre, and Darebin Regional Centre on an as needs basis.
We all love our Ashy grounds and want to train and play locally, whenever possible. It is the Club’s priority to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our members. We continue to work toward an outcome where everyone has the opportunity to play. Thank you to our players, coaches, and families for your patience and for embracing changes when required.
Matt Dutton, Operations Manager